Most Common Causes of Failed Inspections
NOTE to avoid another inspection: In a multi-unit building when there is a high percentage failure on some item like missing Smoke Detectors (i.e."none of the bedrooms in this unit had a required smoke detector") or CO Detectors on the initial inspected units the City may/will now require another inspection to see if it is an issue throughout the property. I do not call for that new inspection the city does with a new inspection ID#. Since this isn’t a re-inspection you will in all likelihood be charged for another inspection. It is much less expensive just to repair the obvious issues prior to the inspection.
1. Smoke Detectors operating units required: (good idea to bring extra batteries to inspection)
- in every bedroom
- in the hallway outside of bedroom(s)
- on every level with or without bedrooms.
2. CO Detectors (Carbon Monoxide) operating units required:
- on every level
4. "Grippable" Handrails and/or guards are required on all stairways over 3 steps. Handrail compliance has nothing to do with the age of the building. Here is all you will need to know. Download file below.